The Common Council Minutes, available from 1686 to the present, may be useful to the researcher of the building survey as they include records of all ordinances, laws, petitions,resolutions, etc. passed in the city of Albany. These records may relate to streets, section of the city, annexations and many other subjects relevant to the growth and character of the city. Any matter which affects the city is likely to receive space in the Common Council Minutes. These matters include issues regarding the city's development (i.e. the building of bridges, ferry landings, the Albany Basin) as well as exterior forces which affect the city, such as fires, floods and epidemics. The activities of individual citizens are also sometimes recorded in the Common Council Minutes.
STREET OPENINGSIncluded in the Street Openings are various documents relating to the opening of a street (or a section of a street), the widening of an already existing street, or the opening of a city park. The documents include maps, newspaper notices, New York State Supreme Court Proceedings, petitions, resolutions, laws, - and records pertaining to the awarding of damages to parties whose land is taken. The Street Openings are available from the early part of the 19th century. Street Opening records are not available for all streets in Albany.
ANNEXATIONS 1815-1967The City of Albany was officially incorporated in 1686. The boundaries at that time were described as follows: "East, the Hudson at low water mark; South, a line drawn from the southernmost end of the pasture at the North end of Martin Gerritsen's Island, and running back due Northwest sixteen miles into the woods, to a certain creek called Sandkill; North, a line parallel to the former about a mile distant; and, West, a straight line drawn from the Western extremities of the North and South lines."1 Northern and Southern boundaries remained intact until the "Colonie" was annexed in 1815. This village was a sparsely settled territory occupied mostly by farmers working leaseholds under the Patroons. The area held a separate corporate existence for several years prior to annexations.2 A description of the portion of the Colonie annexed to Albany appears below. "Beginning at the Southeast corner of the said town, and running northwardly along the East bounds of the County of Albany, until a course of North 48 degrees West, intersects or strikes a red cedar post with brick around it, standing on the West bank of Hudson's River, which post is distant 22 chains and 36 links from the Southeast corner of the storehouse of Steven VanRensselaer, on a course North, 40 degrees 20 minutes West,then 48 degrees West to the West bounds of said town,then along the West and South bounds thereof to the beginning."3 In 1870, part of Bethlehem and Watervliet were annexed to Albany, extending the City's boundaries in a Northerly and Southerly direction. Also, the area beginning West of Magazine Street was ceded to Watervliet and later to Guilderland.4 In 1910, portions of the ceded territory (1870) were reannexed to the City and the Western boundary of the City took its present form.5 By 1916, the Northern and Southern bounds of the City had taken their present form with the exception of those areas known as Westerlo Island and Karlsfeld.6 In 1967, Karlsfeld was annexed to Albany; this being the final change.7
(From Department of Urban Redevelopment, City of Albany, Historic Resources Inventory,June 1976). Footnotes 1. Joel Munsell,Collections on the 5. Albany County Clerk, Street History of Albany. Albany, N.Y.: Openings. Vol. 1, (Orange St.) J. Munsell, 1870, Vol. 3, p.362. 1874, p.48. 2. Common Council, City of Albany, 6. Common Council, City of Albany, Proceedings for the Year 1871. Proceedings for the Year 1871. (Albany, N.Y.: Argus Co. Printers) (Albany, N.Y.: Argus Co. Printers, p.214. 1871) p.154. 3. Ibid., p.5 17. 7. Ibid., 1870, p.213. 4. Ibid., 1890. p.601.
(If Known) PRESENT NAME FORMER NAME DATE OF CHANGE Albany Street Albany Avenue Feb.13,1871 Arch Street Beaver Lane Johnson Street Ashgrove Place(from Trinity Place to Grand St.) Westerlo Street 1869 Bleecker Street Bass Street Bass Lane Broad Street Jonkers Street Malcolm Street Broadway Handelaers Street Market Street a) north of State St. Brewer Street b) north of State St. North Market.Street c) south of State St. South Market Street d) State to Gansevoort St. Court Street e) at Patroon Creek Van Rensselaer Mill f) Columbia to Clinton Ave. Watervliet Street g) at North Pearl Street Cow Street h) from Van Rensselaers Extension of Troy Road Capitol Park Capitol Square Central Avenue Bowery Albany-Schenectady Turnpike July 15, 1867 Schenectady Turnpike Chapel Street Barrack Street Barack Street Charles Street Johnson Street March 19, 1877 Clinton Street Church Street Clinton Avenue Patroon Street Columbia Street New Street a) at North Pearl Oak Street Congress Street Spring Street August 6, 1860 Dean Street Prince Street Water Street Nov. 6, 1826 a) Steuben to Hudson Dock Street Delaware Avenue Delaware Turnpike (If Known) PRESENT NAME FORMER NAME DATE OF CHANGE Division Street(from Hudson River to S. Pearl St.) Bone Lane Dove Street Warren Street Sept. 11, 1790 Dudley Avenue(west of N. Pearl St.) North Ferry Street Eagle Street Duke Street Sept. 11, 1790 Elk Street Queen Street a) Clinton Ave.to Lark St. Spruce Street Sept. 11, 1790 Elm Street Pitt Street Otter Street Westerlo Street Emmet Street Broadway Avenue Feb.13,1871 Laughlin Street Sept. 22, 1879 Exchange Street Mark Lane Ferry Street Mink Street Fourth Avenue Nucelia Street Jan.20,1873 Franklin Street Frelinghuysen Street March 30, 1828 Vreelinghuysen Street Fulton Street Williams Street Gansevoort Street South Street Genessee Street Watervliet Avenue Feb.13,1871 Grand Street Hallenbake Street Green Street Van Driesen Street a) south of Beaver Street Esplanade or Plain Street b) north of Beaver Street Voddewyf or Rag Market or Cheap Side Hamilton Street New Street a) east of Broadway Kilby Lane Hawk Street Hawke Street Sept. 11, 1790 Herkimer Street Van Schee Street High Street South High Street Howard Street Luther Street Lutheran Street a) S. Pearl to Lodge St. Nail St. or Nail Alley Hudson Avenue Quidor or Quiter Street Sept. 11, 1790 Buffalo Street Hudson Street March 4, 1872 a) east of Broadway Spanish Street James Street Middle Lane Middle Alley (If Known) PRESENT NAME FORMER NAME DATE OF CHANGE Jefferson Street Herkimer Street Herkemer Street John Street Sturgeon Street c.1882 Judson Street Second Street Know Street Gage Street July 17, 1809 Swallow Street Sept.11, 1790 a)North of Clinton Ave First Street LaFayette Street Fayette Street Sand Street April 25, 1825 Lake Avenue Perry Street Oct.2, 1882 A)south of Western Ave Pigeon Street Lancaster Street Prideaux Street Sept.11, 1790 Lark Street Johnson Street Sept.11, 1790 Leonard Place (from Warren Street Delaware Ave. to Lark St. Lexington Ave. Snipe Street Sept.4, 1876 Schenectady Street Liberty Street Cow Lane Livingston Ave. Lumber Street April 21,1879 Madison Ave. Wolf Street Wolfe Street Sept.11, 1790 Lydius Street May 20, 1867 Madison Place(Eagle St. to Philip St.) Madison Ave. July 1, 1867 Maiden Lane Rom Street Rum Street McPherson Terrace Clinton Ave.(west of Judson St.) Mohawk Street Hudson River Avenue Feb.13, 1871 Monroe Street Van Schaick Street Montgomery Street(from Marsh Street Jan.22,1827 Quackenbush St.to Livingston Ave.) Mulberry Street Spruce Lane (If Known) PRESENT NAME FORMER NAME DATE OF CHANGE Myrtle Avenue Mink Street West Ferry Street Ferry Street Upper Ferry Street Monckton Street North Pearl Street a)Columbia to Pleasant St. Pearl Street b)State to Columbia St. Orchard Street c)in North Albany North Pearl Street Feb. 13, 1871 Norton Street Church Lane Store Lane Ontario Street Sparrow Street Fourth Street Seneca Street Orange Street Wall Street Sept.11,1790 Hare Street Park Avenue Monckton Street Sept.11,1790 Park Place (north of Capitol Street State St.) Park Street (State to Capitol Street Lancaster St.) Park View Terrace Madison Ave.(Lexington to Robin Street) Plum Street Plum Street Pruyn Street Denniston Street June 16, 1834 Embargo Alley June 16, 1834 Quail Street Turkey Street Quay Street Water Street Dock Street Robin Street Second Avenue Whitehall Road Jan.20,1873 Whitehall Avenue Second Street Elizabeth Street Sheridan Avenue Howe Street Sept.11,1790 Fox Street Canal Street Sand Street (If Known) PRESENT NAME FORMER NAME DATE OF CHANGE Sherman Street Sand Street South Pearl Street Cow Lane Deklyne Street Washington Street a) south of Gansevoort St. Albany-Bethlehem Turnpike June 16, 1877 State Street Yonkers Street Jonkers Street Deer Street Broad Street a) west of Eagle St. Prince Street Sept. 11, 1790 Steuben Street Stuben Street Swan Street Boscawen Street Sept. 11, 1790 Swinton Street Maple Street Mar. 1, 1897 Ten Broeck Place (Ten Broeck Third Street Sept. 18, 1876 St.to Swan St.) Ten Broeck Street High Street July, 1831 Third Avenue Van Vechten Street Jan.20,1873 Third Street John Street Trinity Place Davidson Street Oct. 20, 1862 Broad Street June 14, 1869 Union Street Cow Lane Grass Lane Van Woert Street(west of Lawrence Street Broadway) Washington Avenue Lion Street Sept. 11, 1790 King Street Sept. 11, 1790 Washington Street Water Street (Orange to Dock Street Columbia St.) River Street West Street DeWitt Street June 1, 1868 Westerio Street Kane Street Pitt Street Western Avenue Great Western Turnpike June 27, 1865 City of Albany Fort Orange Aurania Oranienberg Williamstadt Beverwyck The Fuyck
The following are former villages or neighborhoods that have been incorporated into the City of Albany:
Arbor Hill Groesbeckville Karlsfield Kenwood Martinville Normansville North Albany Pageville Spencersville The Colonie Tivoli Hollow West Albany