Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
The 2014 HEAP Cooling Component will begin on Thursday May 1 and run through August 29th
- Receipt of an air conditioner is contingent upon presentation of current documentation specifically stating that a household member has a medical condition that is exacerbated by extreme heat. Absent such a medical, the application for an air conditioner must be denied.
- In order to be eligible for an air conditioner, the household must meet all requirements for HEAP eligibility.
- If a household received a 13-14 HEAP benefit, either via a separate HEAP application or based upon participation in SNAP or TA cases, they will need to complete ONLY the short form.
- If a household did not receive an 13-14 HEAP benefit they must complete a full HEAP application available at https://www.mybenefits.ny.gov/ AND the short form.
- Applications will be taken at the DSS office, 162 Washington Ave or at CHOICES, Rte. 9 W Faith Plaza, Ravena Phone # 756-8650. An interview is necessary, but can be done over the phone. Therefore, we will also be able to accept applications that come in through the mail at 162 Washington Ave Albany, NY 12210 (attention HEAP).
Anyone with questions or in need of assistance, please call our Energy hotline at 447-7323 or email us at email@example.com.
New York State has announced the closing dates for the 2013-2014 HEAP Season.
The closing dates are:
3/14/2014 for Regular applications
3/17/2014 for Emergency applications Please note that EACH AND EVERY ONE of the applications that were received before the close of the program will be processed. Our first priority will be the pending emergencies and then we will do the regulars
If you have any questions, please call: 518-447-7323. Emergency HEAP
can often help people who are confronted with heat-related emergencies, such as a lack of fuel, a utility shut-off, or inoperable/unsafe heating equipment.
If you are eligible for HEAP, we encourage you to apply.
We have information on this page about income eligibility limits, where to apply, and how to download a printable application. For additional information, you contact us the Albany County HEAP Hotline at (518) 447-7323 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
2013-2014 Income Limits for HEAP
|Household Size ||Gross Monthly |
|1 ||$0–2,175 |
|2 ||$0–2,844 |
|3 ||$0–3,513 |
|4 ||$0–4,182 |
|5 ||$0–4,852 |
|6 ||$0–5,521 |
|7 ||$0–5,646 |
|8 ||$0–5,772 |
|9 ||$0–5,897 |
|10 ||$0–6,023 |
|11 ||$0–6,461 |
Where to Apply for HEAP Benefits in Albany County
PLEASE NOTE that ACAP will no longer be handling HEAP applications on behalf of Albany County Department of Social Services at either of their locations.
Cornell Cooperative Extension will handle ALL HEAP in person and mail-in applications for the entire County at the following locations:
- CHOICES, Rte. 9 W Faith Plaza, Ravena
Phone: (518) 756-8650 Fax: (518) 756-3988
- Cornell Cooperative Extension, 230 Green St Albany 3rd floor
Phone: (518) 765-3500 Fax: (518) 463-8218
- Cohoes Multi-Service Senior Center, 10 Cayuga Plaza, Cohoes
Every Tuesday 1:00-3:30pm
Application for HEAP can be made electronically at www.mybenefits.ny.gov
The Albany County Department of Social Services phone number for HEAP is (518) 447-7323. That phone line is monitored at regular intervals during regular business hours and messages are returned promptly. You may also email email@example.com. The HEAP fax number is (518) 447-2518.
Applicants who have no power or less than 1/4 tank of deliverable fuel should be directed to the DSS office at 162 Washington Ave.
Create a printable HEAP application on your own computer!
Simply follow the directions on the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance website, print out your application and bring it in to a location listed above.