How to File a FOIL Request
Effective December 12, 2016: New Freedom of Information (FOIL) request system.
This new system will allow faster and easier access to records available from Albany County to requestors.
How to file a FOIL Request
Also known as "Public Information" requests, these requests are governed by New York State’s “Freedom of Information Law” (§§84-90 of the Public Officers Law).
Albany County now accepts Public Information (FOIL) requests by our new portal.
This web portal will help you communicate with your government about what documents you need. Some previous requests and responsive documents are viewable here online. You may even find what you're looking for without having to submit a new request. To file a request, follow this link: https://albanycounty.nextrequest.com/
Please include the following information:
- As much detail about the record as possible, such as relevant dates, names, descriptions, etc.;
- Which department of Albany County government holds the records you are seeking;
- If part or all of the records cannot be emailed, whether you would prefer to have copies made at 25 cents per page, or prefer to inspect the records first and determine which records you desire to have copied;
- If the volume of electronic records is so large that these cannot be emailed, whether you would prefer copies at 25 cents per page or would want such electronic records written onto a CD-ROM or floppy disk(s) to be created at a cost of approximately $1.00 per CD-ROM or disk; and
- An email address where you can be reached to discuss your request if necessary.
PLEASE NOTE: The FOIL process cannot be used for County Clerk records (court records, and deeds and mortgages.) You can access deeds and mortgages online here, and for more information about copies of County Clerk records, click here.