Office of the Albany County Clerk


If you have any questions about these programs & services, please call us at (518) 487-5100.

Please note that we cannot provide you with legal advice (read why here). Information about free legal advice programs can be found by clicking here.

Deeds and Mortgages Online: Images of deeds and mortgages from 1980 to the present are instantly available on screen in our office. We have also made available copies of deeds and mortgages through the Internet. Learn more »

How to Apply for a Passport Book: A person may apply for a passport at the local County Clerk's office or at a main Post Office. Passport hours at the Albany County Clerk's office are Monday through Thursday, 8:30am to 3:30pm and Friday 8:30am to 3:00pm.  Learn more »

How to Apply for a Pistol Permit, Amendment, or Gunsmith/Dealer License in Albany County: The Albany County Clerk's office is the recordkeeper for all pistol permit documents and gunsmith/dealer licenses in Albany County. Learn more »

IMPORTANT UPDATE about changes in the NYS Pistol Permit Law: CLICK HERE for information about the new renewable permit process and requests to exempt your name and address from FOIL disclosure

How to File a DBA: A "DBA" (shorthand for "doing business as") is officially referred to as an "Assumed Business Name" in New York State law. Section 130 of the State's General Business Law sets out the requirements and conditions of DBAs. Banks require a certified copy of your filed DBA before they will allow you to open a bank account for your new business. We're pleased to offer a downloadable form as well as a customer satisfaction survey. Learn more »

How to File a FOIL Request: Also known as "Public Information" requests, these requests are governed by New York State's "Freedom of Information Law" (§§84-90 of the Public Officers Law). Albany County has a downloadable form for your convenience, and will accept requests by email. Learn more »

How to Get a Copy of any Document at the Albany County Clerk's office: Copies of land records and court records are available, but there is a charge to search for the record as well as a charge for any copies. Learn more »

How to Record a Deed: Learn the four easy steps it takes to Recording a Deed in the County Clerk's Office Learn more »

How to Record a Mortgage: Find out what documents are needed to record a mortgage with the County Clerk's Office Learn more »

Newspapers Designated for Publication of Legal Notices: The Albany County Clerk has designated several newspapers for publication of legal notices. Learn more »

Notary Application: Use this link to the New York State Department of Secretary of State for a informational packet to study to take the New York State Notary Exam:

NYS Nonresident Real Property Estimated Income Tax Form: New York State requires filing of the Nonresident Real Property Estimated Income Tax Payment Form (IT-2663) when an out-of-state resident sells property in Albany County. Form IT-2663 is available for download, with accompanying instructions. Learn more »

Petition for Small Claims Assessment Review (SCAR): A less costly and more informal alternative to a Tax Certiorari proceeding, the Small Claims Assessment Review (SCAR) provides property owners an opportunity to challenge the assessment on their real property. Learn more »

Records Kept: Most records kept in the Albany County Clerk’s office are immediately available. Learn more »

Return of Original Mortgage or Deed Form: Documents submitted for recording MUST be accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope ("SASE") for return of the original document. Originals submitted without a SASE will be returned to you if you complete the document retrieval form and deliver it to the County Clerk's office with a check for $1.00 per document requested. Click Here for the Form [PDF]

Schedule of Fees: Fees are charged for the many services the Clerk’s office provides. Learn more »

Veterans: Honorably discharged veterans are entitled to record their discharge certificates free of charge. Learn more »